Re Fred's comments about giving VIPs VIP treatment.

We can't simply assume that everyone we encounter on the Internet is who
they claim to be. Doing that would be a recipe for abuse of a lot of VIPs
and just as worryingly lots of other people as well.

We should treat everyone with courtesy, and treat every serious complaint
seriously.

But no we should not give preferential treatment to "VIPs" over others. If
anyone is entitled to preferential treatment it is the people we have
seriously maligned, that includes VIPs like Siegenthaler and some very
ordinary people as well. By contrast no-one is arguing that Mr Roth's
complaint is about something similarly damaging to him or to others. If
anything by giving him a quick and fairly easy way to correct a meme that
was widely circulated beyond Wikipedia we have given him better service
than the print media.

If we were a commercial outfit selling high end products to those who could
afford them then I would understand and expect a strategy of giving VIPs
better treatment than others. But we are volunteers helping a charity with
a mission to make the world's knowledge freely available to everyone. If
our clients are "everyone" why would we want to give a differential service
level by status rather than seriousness?

WSC