Proposal: "Paid volunteers" should take care to identify themselves on
Wikimedia Projects and discussions related to Wikimedia Projects.

Sue Gardner's initial report by the WMF into the Belfer case makes  a key
decision that there must be effective processes for escalation of employee
activities that may not comply with Wikimedia local project best
practice.[1][2] The WMF can direct their own processes for their staff, but
a consequence for the wider community is that on our projects we should
have policies that ensure there is simple and straight-forward transparency
for who is a paid volunteer and may have interests related to their edits
or their contributions to discussion. The current situation is that paid
volunteers have no requirement to identify themselves and may contribute
anonymously or pseudonymously in ways that obscure their interest, in fact
this is current common practice.

I am thinking of raising this proposal on meta, so initial thoughts and
comments on this list would be welcome to decide whether this is worth
taking forward as beneficial to our volunteer community.

*Definition of "paid volunteer":*
Paid volunteers are employees, contractors or part time contractors of
Wikimedia organizations or other organizations having agreements or
partnerships with Wikimedia. The paid volunteer contributes to Wikimedia
projects and discussions that influence the content of Wikimedia projects.
This includes employees and contractors that may not be paid for their
on-project activities, however their employer benefits from the content of
the same projects.

Links:
[1] http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2014-April/070827.html
[2]