A bit of unsolicited advice from a chapter staff member and long-time
volunteer coming up. It doesn't represent my view on this proposal, but is,
as I said, simply unsolicited advice! Feel free to ignore it if you want.

Here we go...

It seems to me that the term 'paid volunteer' is an oxymoron. A volunteer
is, by
definition<http://www.volunteering.org.uk/iwanttovolunteer/what-is-volunteering>,
unpaid, aren't they?

That said, this definition, *as applied to paid editing,* is a good start,
but it seems like it needs a little reworking to cover what you're trying
to cover, in particular the part that reads "This includes employees and
contractors...". I'll explain why this is my advice below:

   - Paid volunteers are employees, contractors or part time
contractors of Wikimedia
   organizations or other organizations having agreements or partnerships
   with Wikimedia.
      - *[This could include, say, Google, who have probably signed a
      Wikimania sponsorship agreement with the WMF at some point]*
   - The paid volunteer contributes to Wikimedia projects and discussions
   that influence the content of Wikimedia projects.
   - *[This would include any Google employee who edits Wikipedia in his
      spare time]*
   - This includes employees and contractors that may not be paid for
their on-project
   activities,
      - *[This would also include a Google employee who edits in his spare
      time about trains as his hobby]*
   - however their employer benefits from the content of the same projects.
   - *[Which Google does because they trawl Wikimedia projects and thus
      benefit from them... but then, most of the "Western World" benefits from
      Wikipedia one way or another!]*

This would mean that anyone who works for Google, and edits Wikipedia about
1920s Welsh steam trains, is a paid volunteer, regardless of whether their
job has anything to do with Wikipedia. As a paid volunteer, presumably
their would be extra rules which apply to him - but rules which would not
serve any purpose in his case except for preventing some sort of
Google/Wikipedia/Welsh Steam Trains tryst that wouldn't realistically occur
anyway.

What I'm saying is that this would potentially cover an *awful* lot of
people. To give another example, what if the US State department granted an
amount to the "Wikimedia Idaho" chapter to do an editathon (with a short
one-page grant agreement covering what the £250 grant would be used for)?
Would that then mean that any US State Department employee, worldwide,
would be a 'paid volunteer'? By this definition, yes...

Don't get me wrong, this is a discussion that the community needs to have,
but the stated definition, in my opinion, may be overreaching a bit more
than intended...

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992