On 4 April 2014 14:33, Gryllida <gryll...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2014, at 22:14, Fæ wrote:
>> *Definition of "paid volunteer":*
>> Paid volunteers are employees, contractors or part time contractors of
>> Wikimedia organizations or other organizations having agreements or
>> partnerships with Wikimedia. The paid volunteer contributes to Wikimedia
>> projects and discussions that influence the content of Wikimedia projects.
>> This includes employees and contractors that may not be paid for their
>> on-project activities, however their employer benefits from the content of
>> the same projects.
> If I am a student and write wikipedia articles about commercial software my
> university uses in my free time, I satisfy this definition. However, I would
> have no conflict of interest here, as neither I nor my university gets paid
> for the new information I would write.

I do not understand how you are reading the definition to believe it
would apply to students writing about some software they happen to
use. Students pay the university to be on a course, or receive a grant
from a funding body which they then pay the university, not the
reverse. To be clear, this definition does not apply to students, they
are not:
* employees who are also volunteers
* volunteers who are receiving money or given significant assets for
improving content of Wikimedia projects

Even a paid researcher on a university project would not meet this
definition, unless the project were part funded or in partnership with
Wikimedia. In that latter case, yes, we would want their interest to
be declared when they were acting as a volunteer contributor to
Wikimedia projects and at the same time benefiting their university
project or advocating for further projects where they were likely to
be employed/contracted or be credited for associated academic
publications.

What is proposed here is *not* a general conflict of interest policy,
it is a specific policy of transparency directed at Wikimedia
organization employees or employees of Wikimedia partners on
programmes directly related to Wikimedia projects in the same way as
can be claimed for the Belfer case. Vague associations like an
employee of a Wikimedia partner organization who has no connection to
a Wikimedia partnership are tangential ideas, having nothing to do
with this proposal.

Fae