I agree with the general idea of some of the questions being raised a few
emails above this, but can we please keep the Sandole discussion to a single
thread if possible?

I'll restate the issue by Russavia in a different way, and I would like to
direct this question to WMF instead of the chapters.

Will the Foundation prohibit chapters and other thematic organizations from the
"creation of paid roles that have article writing as a core focus,
regardless of who is initiating or managing the process" as a condition of
receiving WMF funding and using the WMF trademarks?

I think carefully managed article writing can be done successfully by chapters
and other organizations, for example if a Wikimedia DC wanted to sponsor a
Wikipedian in Residence at the National Institutes of Health to improve
articles about cancer. The responsibility for training and supervision could
rest with the chapter and the host organization, and the edits could be tagged
for community review.

Pete posted some good ideas for WiRs in general in the Signpost last week:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2014-04-23/Op-ed.

The situation with Belfer had a lot of problems, but I don't think it should
completely stop us from having Wikimedia-sponsored WiRs add content. That would
be a bridge too far.

Regards,

Pine