Thanks Sue.

I think there are ways WiRs could add valuable content directly such as doing
mass uploads of archived documents to Commons, or add article content as
happened here. However I don't think it's a good idea for WMF to involve itself
so much with content generation, and the manner in which this project was
started and managed had problems as you described. I think that WiRs need a
higher level of training and supervision than happened here, especially if the
WiR is not already an established Wikimedia contributor and familiar with the
relevant policies for their work.

Could WMF also discuss the copyright issues involved?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Timothysandole#Copyright_release_for_excerpts_from_reports

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Russia%E2%80%93United_States_relations#Recent_removal_of_apparent_copyright_violation:_context

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Russia%E2%80%93United_States_relations&diff=601379035&oldid=524953814

Thanks,