There are multiple comments on Common's mainpage talk about this, as well
as one at their administrator's noticeboard. As I mentioned in my first
post, since Commons is a project that by its nature effects all other
projects, I don't think discussion of this issue should be limited to those
who frequent talk pages on commons.  Additionally, I'm not sure that
meaningful change can come from the current Commons administration without
outside pressure, so I've started a discussion here.  As said in my OP,
I've explicitly mentioned this thread on Common's mainpage talk so that
interested commonites who desire to comment can do so here or there.

------
Kevin Gorman
Wikipedian-in-Residence
American Cultures Program