On 3 June 2014 03:02, ENWP Pine <deyntest...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Because VE has repeatedly been mentioned in this list as something that is
> improving and may help us with acquisition of editors and their knowledge,
> I have started to draft an RfC about re-enabling VE on English Wikipedia.
>
> I am not proposing any specific outcome in the RfC. My goal is to set up a
> framework which the community can use to decide which of several paths we
> would like to take.
>
> This is not my personal RfC, I just happen to think that with recent
> discussions trending positively about VE's improvement over the past
> several months and with the comments in this list about its possible value
> to acquiring new editors, I'm willing to put in some time to draft a
> framework for a discussion on-wiki. I am providing this note to let the
> community know that someone (me) is drafting a framework for on-wiki
> discussion. If someone else wants to start an RfC before I get around to
> starting one, that's completely ok.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pine

Without denigrating your considerable contributions to the project, Pine,
I'd suggest that anyone setting up an RFC on this issue should have more
recent experience with the product than you have, and I'd also suggest that
an RFC is premature until there is an indication from the WMF that *they*
feel the product might be ready for broader access.  I don't think that a
fair discussion can be had when it is happening without, for example, a
clear understanding of what issues existed before and whether or not they
have been resolved.  I hope you will reconsider - or perhaps actually test
the product for a couple of weeks before proceeding, so that the RFC can be
based on factual information rather than "well, some people think it should
be enabled".  There have always been some people who thought it should be
enabled.  There have always been some people who think it is a waste of
engineering time and energy.  But factual information about the current
status of the tool, complete with intelligent assessment of its features,
is what is really needed for the community to make a considered decision.

Risker/Anne