On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Andy Mabbett
<a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> It's interesting to read that claim in the content of my "aversion" to
> the unexpected removal of the very useful 'nearby' feature from the
> Android app [1].

(...)

> [1] Promoted by the WMF at the time of its launch:
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/05/29/wikipedia-nearby-beta/ and widely
> reported in the press.

Apologies for the thread-split, but this is OT from the original thread.

This blog post actually referred to the Mobile Web, where the feature
continues to be available (without a map view):
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Nearby

The new Android app isn't simply an upgrade of the last version, it's
a complete re-write in native code -- one which by all accounts has
been extremely well received. In determining the feature set, the team
looked at core functionality they really wanted to deliver in the
first release, and iterated on that based on user feedback during the
beta.

We are in the lucky position to now have a team of three full-time
developers working on the app to make it continually better. You can
see the most recent code changes here:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/apps/android,n,z

And a more understandable view of the current sprint in Trello:
https://trello.com/b/5DhKhjmW/mobile-app-sprint-35-article-usability-enhancements

So you can expect a pretty fast pace of change.

The team prioritized features that were highly requested and popular
among users. The "nearby" feature in the old app also relied on third
party infrastructure, which makes us a bit uncomfortable from a user
privacy and principles perspective. Our plan is to build out our own
OpenStreetMap infrastructure later this year which will help in
further developing such geo-functionality.

CCing Dan (PM for Apps) in case he wants to weigh in on the roadmap.

Erik
--
Erik Möller