"On 11 July 2014 22:34, Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> The new Android app isn't simply an upgrade of the last version, it's
> a complete re-write in native code

This technical nicety is of no interest to most users, whose app was "updated".

> In determining the feature set, the team
> looked at core functionality they really wanted to deliver in the
> first release, and iterated on that based on user feedback during the
> beta.

I didn't participate in this round of the beta, because there was no
suggestion in anything that I read that significant - significantly
useful - existing functionality would be removed. (Indeed, the removal
wasn't mentioned when the "revamped" app was announced by your WMF
colleagues.) I did tough, spend some time testing the "nearby" feature
in v1's beta

> And a more understandable view of the current sprint in Trello:
> https://trello.com/b/5DhKhjmW/mobile-app-sprint-35-article-usability-enhancements

I can't find the string "near" on that page.

> The "nearby" feature in the old app also relied on third
> party infrastructure, which makes us a bit uncomfortable from a user
> privacy and principles perspective. Our plan is to build out our own
> OpenStreetMap infrastructure later this year which will help in
> further developing such geo-functionality.

Is this a blocker for the return of the "nearby" feature to the app?

In splitting this thread and describing it as "off topic", you've
overlooked that my comments were in the context of - and in response
to - your comment about "change-aversion [tending] to correlate pretty
strongly with impact on existing workflows and noticeable changes to
user experience and behaviour".

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing