On Sat, Jul 12, 2014, Richard Ames <rich...@ames.id.au> wrote:

> I think it is very difficult to have hard 'rules'. The guidelines have
> been published and are referred to in the footer of each messages sent from
> this list.....

Ya, those are far from established or instructive in cases of moderator
involvement. I started those[1], and even I don't agree with the current
draft. They weren't written for Foundation-l/Wikimedia-l necessarily,
originally proposed on a private, now defunct list and edited by a small
minority from there. To the best of my recollection, there was no vetting
by a larger community at the time.

That page had a dedicated section about moderation[2], and suggested
practices that were removed all together - with guidelines to warn before
any moderator action, along with a recourse in case of disputes. A somewhat
similar approach as admin actions. I suppose they could still be used as a
starting point, if there is a need to have these written down.

-Theo

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mailing_lists/Guidelines&action=history
[2]