On 11.09.2014 22:27, Nathan wrote:
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Bence Damokos <bdamo...@gmail.com> wrote:

But in closing, I will once again point to my statements that names are
symbolic and they can be changed. If the participants change the name that
sends a totally different vibe than if the change is imposed on the
participants, even if the end result is the same new name.

Best regards,
Bence

Indeed, the conference of affiliates that you've attended in the past is
valuable and worthy. I'd suggest you allow others interested to attend if
resources permit, but I wouldn't ask you to fundamentally alter the nature
of the event. Merely make it clear whom you represent, so that others don't
feel you claim to represent them when you do not -- as Ilario seemed to
with his "principle of delegation" comment.

It's different.

The question to limit participants is more an organizational question than a need to close the access.

Personally I supported a lot the idea to have "regional" or "thematic" Wikimedia conferences.

The affiliated groups uses the name "Wikimedia Conference" but this name doesn't belong to them and they don't require that it must be unique.

Naturally if they decide for the name "Wikimedia Affililiatons Conference" they must have the right to ask that no one will use the same name in organizing a conference.

Regards

--
Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH