From: wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Anders Wennersten
Sent: 17 September 2014 04:36 AM
To: wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Lsjbot+Bot Acadeny

Lsjbot has now completed its run of generating articles for all species, with
310 000 on plants, making the total number generated above 1 300
000 (source used: Catalogue of Life).  With Naskobot, having earlier generated
some 85 000 articles on Swedish lakes and French communes etc., the total
botgenerated articles on svwp are now 1,4 M

The botgenerating efforts have received overwhelmingly positive feedback from
the svwp  community, with comments like:
*for editors it has become more stimulating writing new articles on related
subjects. When we write of a place in Sweden we know that all mentioned lakes
have articles, making the article better and more correct  (no lakes mentioned
are spelled incorrectly any longer). Also photo safaris are more fun when all
lakes, even very small ones, are relevant to take photos of and include in
articles *experts are more attracted participating  when they are guided to the
stub from Google. Also we get feedback it is much easier to enter information
on Wikipedia when the base skeleton is there already (taxobox, category, links
in wikidata, picture, base sourceref). We see an increasing number of
University classes in biology given he assignment to write (expand) articles on
(not so known) species

We are also gladdened by the hard numbers. Reader accesses show a healthy
increase even from our already high number. And a trend of a slight decrease of
editors has now turned into an increase.  We can not say for certain why and it
could be temporary but we believe the botgenerated articles has a part of this
positive development.

Encouraged by this, we will now start what we call Bot Academy. A dozen of our
experienced editors will, with the support from WMSE, learn more of running
bots. First by sessions on basics, common knowledge stuff, in order for us to
be able to use bot as a complement in our editing efforts. And after that we
will have sessions for advanced use, taking in the learning from Lsjbot and
Naskobot, in order to  see if also we can find areas where we from excellent
sources can generate articles.

For 2015 we are contemplating the following botgenerating efforts *lsj
(sverker) will support other versions interested to run Lsjbot. He is now in
discussion with Farsi and Arabic wp, where there are some interesting technical
challenges related to the different alphabeticscript *we will scan best
practices of bot generation on other versions (it, nl, id, vt, serbocroatia,
farsi, ru etc) (it seems we have nothing to learn of this from the biggest
seven...) *lsj will look into using the database used by Swedish libraries,
with info of authors and books. Would it be feasible to generate articles on
authors?
*for myself I am continuing my initiative with the aim of fully integrate
100000 article of Swedish geographic entities with wikidata, in order to  by
the end to generate, if wanted,  up to 100000 articles related to Swedish
geography on 200 other versions. There is a lot needed of quality improvement
of the articles first and also the Wikidata must get better before this can
work, but perhaps it will be possible to get this going for a subset of
articles in 2015 even if the full set will take some years longer before being
ready to deploy

Anders
for examples, press "slumpartikel" (random artiicle) on
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Huvudsida