This is wonderful news, Anders. It made me really happy to read this.
Thanks to everyone who worked to make this happen!

rachel

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Anders Wennersten <m...@anderswennersten.se
> wrote:

> Lsjbot has now completed its run of generating articles for all species,
> with 310 000 on plants, making the total number generated above 1 300 000
> (source used: Catalogue of Life).  With Naskobot, having earlier generated
> some 85 000 articles on Swedish lakes and French communes etc., the total
> botgenerated articles on svwp are now 1,4 M
>
> The botgenerating efforts have received overwhelmingly positive feedback
> from the svwp  community, with comments like:
> *for editors it has become more stimulating writing new articles on
> related subjects. When we write of a place in Sweden we know that all
> mentioned lakes have articles, making the article better and more correct
> (no lakes mentioned are spelled incorrectly any longer). Also photo safaris
> are more fun when all lakes, even very small ones, are relevant to take
> photos of and include in articles
> *experts are more attracted participating  when they are guided to the
> stub from Google. Also we get feedback it is much easier to enter
> information on Wikipedia when the base skeleton is there already (taxobox,
> category, links in wikidata, picture, base sourceref). We see an increasing
> number of University classes in biology given he assignment to write
> (expand) articles on (not so known) species
>
> We are also gladdened by the hard numbers. Reader accesses show a healthy
> increase even from our already high number. And a trend of a slight
> decrease of editors has now turned into an increase.  We can not say for
> certain why and it could be temporary but we believe the botgenerated
> articles has a part of this positive development.
>
> Encouraged by this, we will now start what we call Bot Academy. A dozen of
> our experienced editors will, with the support from WMSE, learn more of
> running bots. First by sessions on basics, common knowledge stuff, in order
> for us to be able to use bot as a complement in our editing efforts. And
> after that we will have sessions for advanced use, taking in the learning
> from Lsjbot and Naskobot, in order to  see if also we can find areas where
> we from excellent sources can generate articles.
>
> For 2015 we are contemplating the following botgenerating efforts
> *lsj (sverker) will support other versions interested to run Lsjbot. He is
> now in discussion with Farsi and Arabic wp, where there are some
> interesting technical challenges related to the different alphabeticscript
> *we will scan best practices of bot generation on other versions (it, nl,
> id, vt, serbocroatia, farsi, ru etc) (it seems we have nothing to learn of
> this from the biggest seven...)
> *lsj will look into using the database used by Swedish libraries, with
> info of authors and books. Would it be feasible to generate articles on
> authors?
> *for myself I am continuing my initiative with the aim of fully integrate
> 100000 article of Swedish geographic entities with wikidata, in order to
> [...]

Rachel diCerbo
Director of Community Engagement (Product)
Wikimedia Foundation
Rdicerb (WMF) <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Rdicerb_%28WMF%29>
@a_rachel <https://twitter.com/a_rachel>