On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 7:10 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Re: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Template:Staff_and_contractors
>
> What's the timeline for re-organizing the current Engineering and Product
> Development group? End of 2014, the first quarter of 2015, sooner, later?

Damon is in charge of the following areas as of today, and handover is underway:
- Platform Engineering
- Features Engineering
- Language Engineering
- Mobile Engineering
- Technical Operations
- Team Practices Group

I'll continue to be responsible for the following groups:
- Product Management
- User Experience
- Analytics
- Community Engagement
- Wikipedia Zero (minus the engineering part, which lives in Mobile Engineering)

These changes will be reflected on the staff page shortly. Needless to
say we are providing support in transitioning approvals, hiring
pipelines, and other day-to-day management responsibilities.

As noted before, Analytics is a bit of an odd fit in either group,
since it includes both engineers and data analysts, and we'll continue
talking about what makes sense here, but it needs to be closely
aligned with product management which is why it's in my group at this
time.

Any growing org structure needs some tweaking over time. There's been
a fair bit of internal discussion already about the best future org
structure for these internal groups in particular:
Platform/Features/Language/Mobile. There are some felt pain points in
the current division of engineering responsibilities through those
groupings (in particular, some of the silo effects that it creates).
Discussions about how to improve the org structure will continue under
Damon's leadership, and it'll be up to him to set the timetable for
any changes he wants to make.

Erik

--
Erik Möller