+1
Welcome, Damon!

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 7:10 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>
> > Re: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Template:Staff_and_contractors
> >
> > What's the timeline for re-organizing the current Engineering and Product
> > Development group? End of 2014, the first quarter of 2015, sooner, later?
>
> Damon is in charge of the following areas as of today, and handover is
> underway:
> - Platform Engineering
> - Features Engineering
> - Language Engineering
> - Mobile Engineering
> - Technical Operations
> - Team Practices Group
>
> I'll continue to be responsible for the following groups:
> - Product Management
> - User Experience
> - Analytics
> - Community Engagement
> - Wikipedia Zero (minus the engineering part, which lives in Mobile
> Engineering)
>
> These changes will be reflected on the staff page shortly. Needless to
> say we are providing support in transitioning approvals, hiring
> pipelines, and other day-to-day management responsibilities.
>
> As noted before, Analytics is a bit of an odd fit in either group,
> since it includes both engineers and data analysts, and we'll continue
> talking about what makes sense here, but it needs to be closely
> aligned with product management which is why it's in my group at this
> time.
>
> Any growing org structure needs some tweaking over time. There's been
> a fair bit of internal discussion already about the best future org
> structure for these internal groups in particular:
> Platform/Features/Language/Mobile. There are some felt pain points in
> the current division of engineering responsibilities through those
> groupings (in particular, some of the silo effects that it creates).
> Discussions about how to improve the org structure will continue under
> Damon's leadership, and it'll be up to him to set the timetable for
> any changes he wants to make.
>
> Erik
>
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive*
Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia
<http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:nhasive>
Member | IEG Committee, Wikimedia Foundation
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/People>
Social Media Interaction Moderator | The Daily Prothom-Alo
<http://www.prothom-alo.com>
Bangladesh Ambassador | Open Knowledge Foundation Network
<http://www.okfn.org>
Treasurer | Bangladesh Open Source Network (BdOSN) <http://www.bdosn.org>
Task Force Member | Mozilla Bangladesh <http://www.mozillabd.org>
fb.com/nhasive | @nhasive <http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | Skype: nhasive