On 7 January 2015 at 00:06, Siko Bouterse <sboute...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 12:17 PM, MF-Warburg <mfwarb...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Sorry if this was already answered and I overlooked it, but will there be
> > something like a special form of "advertising" this campaign in order to
> > attract many requests that propose to do something about the Gender Gap?
> >

> Great question. Current thinking is to do the usual announcing on mailing
> lists, blog/social media, village pumps, etc, as well as experimenting with
> running Central Notice banners. Would like to attract folks from various
> wikis who have interest in this theme and ability to lead a project in
> their community, beyond the usual (relatively small) slice who regularly
> participate in lists like these or in the usual grantmaking discussions on
> meta-wiki. And although outside media could help bring total newbies to
> contribute ideas, discussion, and other forms of participation, it is
> pretty darn important to have at least 1 experienced Wikimedian on a funded
> team in order to lead and execute a useful community project, so
> in-movement (particularly on-wiki) promotion is a priority. Any
> thoughts/suggestions would be welcome!

TL:DR I see the stick, but where is the carrot? [1]

I understand from the explanations that the reason for not accepting
any non-gender-gap focused grants for several months is because of the
expected workload on the staff in reviewing applications and
supporting the projects that do get funded.

However, what I don't understand is what added incentive there is for
people to submit grant applications on the chosen topic (in this
instance it is gender-gap, but it could be other topics in the
future)? Since it is already possible to submit a gender-gap focused
grant, how does the refusal to accept other kinds of project
submissions increase the number/quality/variety of gender-gap grants?
I can see the unfortunate possibility for:
-  some grants to be re-written with a false veneer of gender-gap
focus ("pink-washing") simply to access the money
- valid (but non gender-gap focused) grant applications having to wait
until after the 3-month project, and potentially having to cancel
altogether depending on the volunteer's availability.

I think this is what Lodewijk was referring to when he called it a
"negative campaign" - there is a DISincentive for other kinds of grant
applications, but no apparent specific incentive for the desired type
of application.

I see the stick, but where is the carrot?
Am I missing something?

-Liam
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrot_and_stick