Anasuya, thank you for the time and wisdom you have shared with us. We will
miss you dearly.

Luis & Siko, congratulations. Looking forward to working with you in your
new role.

Katie

On 19 February 2015 at 23:02, Gregory Varnum <gregory.var...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Anasuya - I think you know that I adore you - and I am truly sad to see
> you go.
>
> I look forward to seeing you around online - and hope to see you at
> Wikimanias - but your impact has been immense and you will be missed. :(
>
> -greg aka varnent
>

> > On 19 Feb, 2015, at 5:20 PM, Anasuya Sengupta <asengu...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dear friends and colleagues, fellow adventurers on the Wikimedia journey
> -
> >
> > Goodbyes are overrated.[1] But since I’m sure this will be au revoir,
> I’ll
> > continue: I am leaving the Foundation as head of the Grantmaking
> > department, at the end of March. This was not an easy decision to make;
> > this is not an easy email to write.
> >
> > As some of you know, I have been battling health issues over the past few
> > months. I’ve learnt sharp and intimate truths about myself as I’ve worked
> > to get better, and what I’ve kept coming back to is the compassionate but
> > fierce feminist slogan around self-care and sustainability: ‘what’s the
> > point of the revolution if we can’t dance?’[2] To reassure you all, I
> will
> > be well,[3] but I need a little time and space to focus on getting my
> > dancing legs strong again.
> >
> > That said, I am pleased that we have a really solid plan in place as I
> > leave. As Lila’s email announced, Luis Villa (our current Deputy General
> > Counsel) will be taking over the team effective immediately, and leading
> > the organisation further in our support of Wikimedia communities
> worldwide.
> > Luis brings with him a range of skills and qualities that I know will
> stand
> > him, the team, and the movement in wonderful stead through it all. As a
> > friend and colleague, I am so delighted to be supporting Luis through the
> > next few weeks of transition.
> >
> > I joined the Foundation in July 2012 to oversee and implement the FDC
> > process. Since then, I’ve had the privilege of creating and leading a
> > department of more than twenty remarkable and passionate people who care
> > about our mission, our communities, and the resources needed to match the
> > two.
> >
> > We went from Asaf managing a small grants portfolio on his own, ably
> > supported on occasion by Winifred, to a fully fledged grantmaking
> > department with a spectrum of monetary and non-monetary resources. We
> have
> > been able to offer these in different ways to different parts of our
> > movement: to individual volunteers with great ideas in need of project
> > management, to small groups experimenting with new initiatives, and to
> > established organisations who form critical content and policy
> partnerships
> > in their local contexts. We built an infrastructure for understanding our
> > collective impact. We learned together about what our different
> [...]

Katie Chan
Volunteer Support Organiser
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0990
+44 (0) 7885 980 534

PGP Key-ID: 0x483767A3

Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The
Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.