> Hi All,
>
> I’m writing to let you know that today the Wikimedia Foundation[1] is
> filing suit against the National Security Agency
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_Agency>, the Department
> of
> Justice <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Justice
> >,
> and the U.S. Attorney General
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Attorney_General>[2] in order
> to challenge certain mass surveillance practices carried out by the U.S.
> government. We believe these practices are impinging the freedom to learn,
> inquire, and explore on Wikimedia sites.
>
> Since the 2013 mass surveillance disclosures, we’ve heard concerns from the
> community about privacy on Wikipedia. This lawsuit is a step towards
> addressing the community's justified concerns. We believe that the
> surveillance methods being employed by the NSA under the authority of the
> FISA
> Amendments Act
> <
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Intelligence_Surveillance_Act_of_1978_Amendments_Act_of_2008
> >
> negatively impact our users' ability and willingness to participate in our
> projects. Today, we fight back.
>
> An op-ed
> <
> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/opinion/stop-spying-on-wikipedia-users.html?_r=0
> >
> by Lila and Jimmy about the lawsuit, and Wikimedia's stance on government
> surveillance, appeared in The New York Times this morning. Additionally, we
> just published a blog post
> <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/03/10/wikimedia-v-nsa/> with more
> information about the suit. (The post will also up on Meta for
> translation).

Curious question, by the way: how controversial would you expect this move
to be domestically? From e.g. a Swedish perspective, the NSA is an
intelligence agency of a foreign power and the other mentioned
organizations are either largely uncontroversial and seen in a positive
light (Amnesty, PEN, HRW) or unknown, but will it affect how the WMF is
seen in the US?

//Johan Jönsson