Hi.

I'm of two minds here. I would love for mass surveillance to stop; the
revelations of the past few years are disgusting. However, this lawsuit
has the appearance of being the start of a completely un-winnable case
that's merely an expensive political stunt. Perhaps especially due to the
SOPA protests, I'm very wary of the Wikimedia Foundation engaging in
stunts like this. I have a few questions.

Has the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees passed a resolution
authorizing the Wikimedia Foundation general counsel and executive
director to pursue this lawsuit? I understand that one board member
(Jimmy) is involved, of course, but something of this scale seems like it
would require explicit authorization.

What's the projected financial cost of this lawsuit for the Wikimedia
Foundation?

What's the projected length of time that this lawsuit will take to resolve?

What specifically is the Wikimedia Foundation hoping to accomplish with
this lawsuit? I read about "filing this suit [...] to end this mass
surveillance program in order to protect the rights of our users around
the world," but what's a best-case scenario here? What could a federal
judge do here?

How does the Wikimedia Foundation intend to protect the rights of users
around the world when it will have a nearly impossible time of protecting
Americans, much less non-Americans? U.S. courts and the U.S. Congress have
made it very clear that spying on non-Americans is completely acceptable,
so when I read that the aim is to protect users worldwide, I'm pretty
skeptical.

Is there any indication from prior court cases that this lawsuit will be
successful? Reading <https://www.eff.org/node/84572> about Jewel v. NSA
leads to me to think that we already know almost exactly what's likeliest
to happen here.

Aside from standing, U.S. government agencies (even outside of
intelligence agencies) have broad immunity from lawsuits. How does the
Wikimedia Foundation intend to penetrate immunity here? It seems very
unlikely that a single slide in a classified presentation, which honestly
references Wikipedia only in passing as an example of a site using HTTP,
will convince any judge that there's enough to establish standing and
penetrate immunity.

My concern is that this will be an expensive, decade-long lawsuit that
will eat donor money and ultimately accomplish nothing.

Nearly all of the "surveillance" that takes place on our projects comes
from our users. We're radically transparent and we make it trivial to
track and audit any user's actions. This is by design, as it allows us to
prevent vandalism and other harm to the projects. Given Wikimedia's
particular setup, including the fact that we, for example, willfully
expose IP addresses if a user chooses to not log in, it seems that the
Wikimedia Foundation would have an even higher bar to clear in order to
establish harm.

But more to the point: even if by some miracle, this case were resolved in
2015 with a very explicit federal court order instructing the National
Security Agency to cease mass surveillance, is there anyone who believes
that this will end mass surveillance?

Our mission is to try to bring free educational content to the world.
Wouldn't it be a much smarter investment of donor resources to focus on
building Wikimedia? Surely there's plenty to do in that arena without us
needing to fight a battle we can't win in the courtroom.

MZMcBride