Hi there,

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 11:33 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Keegan Peterzell wrote:
> >Single-user login[1] finalization will be taking place next month.[2]
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >All accounts that will be affected by this will be contacted on their talk
> >page within the next couple of days.[4]
>
> Hi.
>
> Do you think a month of warning to affected users is sufficient? Ideally
> we want as many users as possible to self-rename before being forcibly
> renamed, I think. And if a lot of users take us up on the opportunity to
> self-rename (i.e., request a user rename, we still don't have true
> self-renames...), we want to make sure there aren't big backlogs. Sending
> out messages to 2.8 million accounts seems like it could create a flood.
>
> MZMcBride

Great question, and it's one I've wrested with personally and in meetings.

Ultimately the timeline that is chosen is arbitrary. We can look at the
data of the accounts like the number of edits v. age, potentially how much
time does the average person with a conflicting account login based on
user_touched, and several other metrics, but in the end there is no science
to come up with a predictive timeframe. Another arbitrary number is how
many of these accounts will show up to request a rename, no matter the
timeframe. I can set this to take place six months from now but that's not
predictive of behavior. As you can imagine, there's many more scenarios :)

So, given that, in my opinion the biggest tell is going to be what happens
in the first two weeks. There are two potential bottlenecks: technical and
in personnel. If the job queue or any other sort of technical function is
regularly getting stuck, we'll revisit the month time frame. If the
technical side is holding up but there are too many rename requests to
fulfill before the deadline, we'll revisit the deadline. I'm willing to be
flexible depending on the circumstance.

The bottom line is that this is something that we're only doing once, and
it's something that I want to do right. I'd be willing to postpone if major
technical and/or personnel blockers show up. However, I'm committed to the
month deadline as much as I can be - at some point this has to be done, we
clearly can come up with blockers for over a decade. 2.8 million accounts
could create a flood, or a trickle. We're going to see, and very soon :)

--
Keegan Peterzell
Community Liaison, Product