Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
>I, for one, am immensely grateful that you and your team (and Manilla's
>just as much) chose to start such a hard endeavor for the community's
>benefit!  I really wish that communications and timing had been better
>so that neither of your teams ended up wasting any effort too early (no
>doubt you'll be contacted for future years as both locations are
>desirable and your willingness to host is now known).
>
>I know that the steering committee contacted our team (tentatively, very
>early in the year) in part because they were aware that we were already
>fully set to host Wikimania in 2017 with the groundwork for our hosting
>having started in 2010, and most of our preparations still usable (and,
>I expect, an opportunity to hold the first Wikimania in a Francophone
>location played a part).  It's clear to me the steering committee
>dropped a ball in not noticing that both of your teams had started
>working on bids in time to communicate with you.
>
>That said, this kind of wasted effort is - from what I understand - the
>very reason why the process needed changing.  Even if three teams bid
>for 2017, two of them would necessarily have wasted the tremendous work
>that goes into preparing a bid - including the credibility cost of long
>talks with venue and sponsors that turn out to a miss and the morale hit
>of loosing in a bidding process.  I suppose I'm a bit "glad" that the
>leak occured before our team was ready to make the official announcement
>because - if nothing else - this will prevent that waste to have been
>even worse.

This reads a bit strangely to me. You seem to suggest that bids can be
worked on for many years: in this case, saying that planning for Montreal
started in 2010 for an eventual 2017 bid. However, you continue on to
write that it's wasted effort if a bid fails in a particular year.
Wouldn't failed bids be re-usable in subsequent years?

My guess is that sponsors and venues are capable of understanding a
bidding process, so long as it's appropriately communicated to them.

MZMcBride