On 27 November 2015 at 06:04, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> I realize that the Funds Dissemination Committee is advisory, but I
> thought it had been set up by the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
> as "all large affiliate requests, including us," not "all large affiliate
> requests, except us." It seems progress has been ebbing and flowing.

Just as an extra clarification on this point specifically:
it's not about whether an affiliate is "large" but more about whether they
are eligible[1] and whether they want to apply for an Annual Plan Grant.

There are several affiliate organisations across Wikimedia that have larger
budgets than some of the FDC-applicants, but have never applied for Annual
Plan Grant funding because they have access to external sources of revenue.
For example, the primary sources of income for Wikimedia Poland[2] and
Wikimedia Indonesia[3] are external (national charity-tax rebate scheme;
philanthropic grants).

The role of the WMF itself in making its planning/budgeting accountable to
"the movement" is, as we have seen, contested.

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Eligibility
[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/Reports/2014#Structure_of_income
[3] http://www.wikimedia.or.id/wiki/Laporan_keuangan_2014/Catatan