TL;DR - we've reached "peak banner", how do we change the fundraising
model to be about working smarter, not just pushing harder. This needs
to be part of a broader process that involves strategic planning
transparency, endowment discussions, editor-recruitment, etc. Not just
about fullscreen advertising.

I, along with many here, am dismayed that the banners are now at the
stage of being fullscreen. However, as others have mentioned, the
actual text of the request has been adjusted following a reasonably
collaborative process to identify text that is both effective and
acceptable to the community. Also, the fundraising team have been
placed in the difficult position of being told to raise a LOT more
money without being given more methods to do so.[1] Naturally then,
there is a point where the existing methods reach their maximum
effectiveness, and capacity is stretched to the point where awkward
mistakes happen.[2]

At this point, I suspect we've reached "peak banner".

Rather like "peak oil" - after drilling the same oil reserve for a
long time, you have to pump exponentially harder to maintain a steady
flow.[2] Furthermore, the harder you pump today, the more difficult it
will be tomorrow. I think we've reached that point with the
fundraising advertising and emails. We know that the donation amounts
are decreasing, but the budget is increasing. There are many suggested
reasons for the decreased supply (relevant parables for this include
"killing the goose that laid the golden egg" and "the boy who cried
wolf"). So it's now time to talk about pumping smarter, not harder.

An important part of that shift is the recently-opened (but longtime
mooted) discussion about an endowment. I commend Lisa's essay[3] as an
excellent start to formulating a long-term plan. There are many
important questions that would need to be answered as part of that
strategy. People interested in this really ought to read her thoughts
on creating a "growing endowment" and the advantages/challenges this
would bring. Carefully and consultatively addressing the challenges in
creating an endowment would also go a long way towards fixing other
related concerns:

- Improving the transparency of the WMF strategy and the way decisions
are made (see also the discussion about the FDC recommendations[4])
- Having the global community, especially the Chapters which have
local fundraising capacity, involved in the fundraising process -
rather than being held at arms length. The community should be seen as
the fundraiser's biggest asset, not the pageview numbers.
- culturally sensitive communication (to avoid things like the email
saying "let's end this" being translated into French as the
*equivalent* of "I challenge you to a fight to the death")
- Integrating the activities of fundraising as "part of the movement"
rather than as something that is held/holds itself apart. The WMF
donor database, for example, has tens of thousands of people who would
be interested in learning to edit. Why have we never tried to create a
[privacy-policy-compliant] way of introducing those people to their
local communities/chapters to help address the other strategic
challenge of "editor recruitment and retention".
- Addressing some of the inequities of how money is
raised/disseminated across our movement which are based on rules
"grandfathered in" from chapter-fundraising rules prior to the "Haifa
letter".
- movement calendars (to avoid things like this year's fundraising
clash with WikiLovesMonuments)

Some people say that the fundraising goal is too high. Perhaps, but we
also have a long list of fixes-needed and wanted-features. We can't do
a lot more with a lot less, although we can certainly increase the
efficiency/transparency of how the existing WMF budget is spent!
However, with the increased total budget, also comes a increased
expectation of results. I think that a lot of my own frustration comes
from this - I could probably be supportive of a fullscreen banner IF I
felt the results justified it. But, for just one example, as Andrea
described today[5], Wikisource has NEVER received any dedicated
support despite years of that community begging for it.

I've probably written too much now... sorry!

-Liam

[1] Side note: If you'd like to apply for what is think is probably
the hardest (and therefore very important) job in Wikimedia, WMF
Fundraising is hiring a community-liaison role:
https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/113040?t=26r71l
[2] like saying "A year ago, you gave 0.00 € to keep Wikipedia online
and ad-free." https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T120214
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil Yes, I realise the metaphor
isn't perfect. Oil is a non-renewable resource while donations are
potentially renewable.
[3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Endowment_Essay
[4] and thank you Lila for your response on that topic thus far
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2015-November/079940.html
[5] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2015-December/080150.html
wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata