From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Tim Landscheidt
Sent: Thursday, 31 December 2015 9:20 PM
To: wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board

"Peter Southwood" <peter.southw...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> You are quite correct, we cannot force the board to respond. However
> if they don't we are free to vote with our feet - or not.  The
> fundamental rule of crowdsourcing is 'do not alienate your crowd'.
> They tread a delicate line, whatever they do is going to annoy
> somebody.
> […]

By mid-December, they had crowdsourced USD 18.000.000 in this campaign, so they
seem to be on the right track.  If volunteer editors would leave in a
significant number, the effect would be the same that we have seen for MediaWiki
development: "We need to raise /more/ money to employ some- one to edit and
update articles.  You want to keep Wikipedia alive, don't you?"

All threats against the board or WMF in general are power- less unless there is
a viable alternative to Wikipedia for volunteers that is /better/; at the
moment there is not even a clone that provides just the same data.

Tim