Hoi,
To be perfectly honest, the biggest gift of Google is to recognise
Wikipedia as significant. I like to think that it is because of the
algorithms they use and even when it is not it is what makes Wikipedia
significant. When they value us not only through their algorithms and give
us money because we add value to their search results, there is something
to find, I welcome their money as long as it fits with our stated
principles.

Google did invest in Wikidata and It became a vital tool for Wikipedia
through its interwiki links. Their thoughts on why they did this is not
that relevant to me. What they did is end their superior tool and they
spend money to end their product gracefully.

My thoughts on this are simple. The relation with Google is symbiotic. We
both do better because of the other. Those that do not see this are not
dismissed because they are quacks but because they do not see what is in
front of them; they are imho irrelevant.

The suggestion that there might be something is great. The suggestion is to
waste even more time. Time we could spend on researching how we can make a
better mouse trap out of Wikipedia. My conclusion is that the people that
waste their time politicking are in reality satisfying their own curiosity
and not improving what we do or how we do it.
Thanks,
       GerardM