Lila's statement of her vision for WMF is compelling and attractive. If
properly and faithfully executed, it seems like it would make just the
right adjustments to the culture of the WMF and its interaction with and
support of the Wikimedia community. I have long been concerned that a
number of positions at the WMF amounted to sinecures, or at least returned
little value to the projects in exchange for resources expended. It seems
logical to me that such a radical change, even well enacted, would prompt
discontent and departures from the organization.

That said, I'm not convinced that this paradigm shift has been handled well
by the WMF executive team and the board. First and foremost, this statement
from Lila is the best explanation given anywhere that I'm aware of
describing the shift within the WMF. That is not good. Second, it appears
that the work has not been done to get key members of the paid team and
volunteers on board with this process. This is another very substantial
failure.

For anyone who believes that Lila's vision statement is right for the
future of the WMF, these unforced errors should cause serious anguish -
needed changes might be lost or avoided because incompetent execution of
prior initiatives left everyone deeply change-averse.