On 22/02/16 18:45, Erik Moeller wrote:
> The numbers for "very active editors" appear to have stabilized at a
> slightly higher level than previously. I can't find any firm
> conclusion on what has caused this in Wikimedia's public
> communications, but the HHVM rollout, long-planned and implemented in
> December 2014 under Ori Livneh's leadership seems like a plausible
> hypothesis:
>
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/12/29/how-we-made-editing-wikipedia-twice-as-fast/

I don't think it is plausible, given the data collected at:

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:HHVM_newcomer_engagement_experiment>

25,000 new users were put into an HHVM bucket, so the whole site was
twice as fast for them. Then they were tracked for a week. There was
no improvement in engagement or productivity.

I'm sure the performance improvements we did in 2004-2005 had a big
impact, especially initial batch of 9 Tampa servers in February 2004.
There must be a scale effect: going from 20s to 10s is much more
important than going from 2s to 1s.

-- Tim Starling