Hey everyone,
i'd really like to reaffirm what Àlex wrote in his mail: let's start
with people, not technology.

When i read this in Lila's message:
> Many companies copy our knowledge into their own databases and
> present it inside their interfaces. While this supports wider
> dissemination, it also separates our readers from our community.
It seems like it's a bad thing that people reuse our work. But isn't
that the whole point of our mission? Wikipedia might be the last big
site on the internet where the main focus is not on getting everyone
to share their content in the same walled garden (like Facebook,
Google, Twitter, etc.) but on altruistically creating something that
benefits the whole world.

I completely agree that Wikimedia should be a high-tech organization.
I'm very glad that the focus of development (and user experience in
particular) has shifted to the WMF the last couple of years, bringing
us great improvements like the Visual Editor. But we should not never
forget the purpose of all those improvements: it's to better serve the
community and our mission. We shouldn't be building tech for tech's
sake!

Everyone who has spent more than a few years in this community knows
how incredibly difficult it is to balance the needs of the editors,
the readers, and developers. I'm incredibly grateful to those who
managed to make improvements while not disturbing that balance too
much. Unfortunately, many of these people have left the WMF the last
few years, and that's a very sad thing. It's hard to get good people,
it's even harder to replace them when they're gone.

However important those technical improvements are, the greatest asset
of our movement is not the software we built. It's not even the hard
working people in chapters and the WMF. It's the more than 26 million
people who have had the courage in the last fifteen years to press the
'edit' button and voluntarily gave their time and knowledge for the
common good. When major decisions are made, we should be very sure
that they benefit those people.

Best,
-- Hay / Husky