I agree this is not a black and white issue.

To depend upon a volunteer workforce to chip away at big picture issues --
especially relating to citations (with the idea that they become systemized
and full on integrated with Wikidata in a super user friendly way) -- is
(a) impractical and (b) weakens the potential for innovation, information
gathering, and quality control.

But then again I think there should be rich and deep cultural partnerships
with GLAM and other institutions, even TV networks and other content
creators, that are funded by grants and outreach in an effort to make
Wikipedia less text heavy, less citation lite, and less curated by
hobbyists who drive out experts in their fields.

I am saying this lovingly, of course, as a hobbyist here....

Agree also about how Wikimedia *does* pay many people -- and should
continue to do so in service to the projects. This is the first "dirty
secret" #NotReally I was truly shocked by once I started volunteering and
getting more involved here.

I don't get citation hunt, find it intimidating and is not why I edit
Wikipedia, but I support improving citations 100%.

- Erika

*Erika Herzog*
Wikipedia *User:BrillLyle* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BrillLyle>
Secretary, Wikimedia NYC