Hoi,
Once we, as in the WMF, start paying for content there is no reasonable
argument to pay specific work and not pay for other specific work. Why
should we pay for additional content in English and not pay for content in
other languages?

Research is done that may lead to the use of Wikidata for citations. We
have a project called Wikiquote, why not invest attention into Wikiquote.
Really all the basic reasons why work on citations deserves additional
funding is lacking. It does not explain what it will bring us anything that
we cannot get in another way.

As long as there is no obvious benefit, it would destroy what we are and
how we do things for no obvious benefit.
Thanks,
       GerardM