On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Craig Franklin <cfrank...@halonetwork.net>
wrote:

> I agree completely with both Robert and Marc.
>
> James, it is my understanding that every global ban must be signed off by
> the Legal department.  Is this correct?  If so, not only would this provide
> a check against the hypothetical situation of someone being globally banned
> in a fit of pique, but it would also confirm the seriousness of whatever it
> was that got them banned.  Obviously knowingly proxying for a user whose
> conduct has been so reprehensible as to require the intervention of
> multiple departments in the WMF is pretty serious business and would lead
> to consequences of some sort, and that appears to be the scenario that
> James is referring to in the link that Fae provided.
>
> Cheers,
> Craig

This is correct, all global bans (after a complaint has been made) go
through:

   - Investigation by Support & Safety team member -->
   - Review and Recommendation by the Manager of Trust & Safety (myself)
   -->
   - Approval by the Director of Support & Safety and the Chief of
   Community Engagement (currently both Maggie) -->
   - Approval by General Counsel (currently Michelle) or designee.

It then comes back to us to actually press the buttons. Global Bans (as
well as Event Bans which are done via the same process) have been
incredibly rare for that very reason, we don't take them lightly and go
through a lot of review before we make the decision.

*James Alexander*
Manager, Trust & Safety
Wikimedia Foundation