I agree completely with both Robert and Marc.

James, it is my understanding that every global ban must be signed off by
the Legal department.  Is this correct?  If so, not only would this provide
a check against the hypothetical situation of someone being globally banned
in a fit of pique, but it would also confirm the seriousness of whatever it
was that got them banned.  Obviously knowingly proxying for a user whose
conduct has been so reprehensible as to require the intervention of
multiple departments in the WMF is pretty serious business and would lead
to consequences of some sort, and that appears to be the scenario that
James is referring to in the link that Fae provided.

Cheers,
Craig