From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Rogol Domedonfors
Sent: Thursday, 02 March 2017 9:23 AM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] More politics: "WMF Annual Report"

Pine,

Recall that the Foundation have rewritten their values to include "we seek to
continually improve ourselves, our projects, our communities, our world.", see
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Values/2016_discussion/Synthesis

The previous version
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Values&oldid=16352103 was all
about knowledge.

But now, "Our vision is about more than providing universal access to all forms
of knowledge. It’s about creating an inclusive culture"

WMF has taken on an explicitly political mission, to improve the word not
merely by the dissemination of knowledge, but by direct intervention.  I do not
recall that being discussed with the Community, and I wonder what the donors
think?

"Rogol"

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 6:26 AM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've written several drafts today in response to this thread, all of
> which came out as as rather energetic.
>
> There are some reputable organizations for which I like and for which
> the tone of the "main page" of this report would be appropriate. WMF
> is not one of them. I would ask the people who approved the final
> version of this publication (particularly those in senior management)
> to carefully reflect on whether they are working for the organization
> that is right for them. If they want to continue to work for WMF, I
> would ask them to carefully read and focus on the WMF mission, and be
> religious about staying on that mission when making decisions on
> behalf of WMF. Outside of WMF it's fine to engage in many kinds of
> advocacy, but inside of WMF, this kind of tilt is a strategic liability both
> to WMF and to Wikipedia.
>
> Pine

-----
No virus found in this message.