Hi Anna,

Thanks for offering your thoughts on this (and I mean that sincerely).
Lord knows that sometimes the temperature on this list and in other venues
rises to a point where no communication of substance can occur, and all
that is achieved is that everyone walks away with bruised egos and hurt
feelings.  Obviously this is not good.

But, let me turn around your email; it's also pretty demoralising for us on
the other side of the equation when we're described as a bunch who 'wants
great talent to walk' because we see 'no point to the foundation anyway'.
Especially in this particular thread where I see naught but respectful yet
widespread criticism of the tone of some of the annual report.  I *know*
you're not trying to shut down the discussion here, or retreat into a
defensive position with your fingers stick in your ears, but that is what
it *felt* like reading your email, and that is just as much a problem.

I concur with you that the way that the community communicates with the
Foundation needs to improve.  But from the Foundation's side, you need to
make it easier for us to communicate in a constructive way.  That includes
not having discussions around things like values sequestered away on some
corner at Meta in a densely written essay that might be difficult for
non-English speakers or those not familiar with the philosophical issues
around values and corporate ethics to engage fully.

To make this email not all doom-and-gloom, I want to agree with something
that SJ said; the actual visual presentation and layout of the report is
fantastic.  Very striking, easy to read, minimalist without being sparse.
My hat is off to whomever in the Communication team was involved with that
side of things.

Cheers,
Craig