On 06/06/2017 02:10, Risker wrote:
> As far as I can tell (and from comments made in the past by actual Tor
> users), there is no problem whatsoever for Tor users to read Wikipedia
> while using Tor.

Let me put it this way, I am sure that the WMF will always do its best
to protect the privacy of our readers and editors. Alas, I am much more
concerned by third parties trying to snoop on our users. We also know
that this kind of surveillance happened and that's also why the WMF is
currently engaged in a lawsuit against the NSA.

Using Tor to visit (i.e. read) wikipedia.org provides additional privacy
and users can also circumvent blocks in their country, if necessary.
Having an onion service gives similar benefits.

Furthermore, I think it is very important that major Internet websites
provide themselves as an onion service. Even Facebook did it (at
https://www.facebookcorewwwi.onion/) and there are good privacy and
censorship-circumventing reasons for this[1]. I think that the least
difference between the "privacy enhanced" (aka dark) net and the regular
internet there is the more people will consider to use Tor. I think this
is a good thing.

Frankly, I hate it when I hear Tor and onion services nominated by
newspapers and newscasts only when talking about illegal activities.
Then I remind myself that Snowden used Tor extensively and without it we
probably would have not know about the NSA mass surveillance.

I think that having an onion service may be useful, but I also think
that we could have it just because we should.

>  Editing is a completely different situation - and well it
> should be, given the pure unadulterated trash that tends to come in
> whenever a Tor exit node is missed in the routine lockdowns.

I understand the difficulties. Again, I don't think we should conflate
the idea of providing Wikipedia as an onion service with the issues
related to editing Wikipedia over Tor or open proxies.

[1]:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/facebook-hidden-services-and-https-certs