hi Zubin,

thanks for being a newcomer to Wikimedia, and also for your interest in the
issue of bureaucracy. I think you're right that it is something worth
analyzing. A chapter of my "Common Knowledge? An Ethnography of Wikipedia"
(2014, Stanford University Press) was dedicated to studying the issue. You
can peruse it, also to see other references on the topic. I am not aware of
strong quantitative studies of the problem though, as it is quite difficult
to account for all the factors, in different projects, etc.

best,

dj "pundit"

<http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/>
Dariusz Jemielniak, Ph.D.
Professor of Management
Chair of MINDS (Management in Networked and Digital Societies) Department
Kozminski University
 http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl  <http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/>

associate faculty at Berkman-Klein Center for Internet and Society,
Harvard University
*Recent articles:*

   - Dariusz Jemielniak, Maciej Wilamowski (2017)  Cultural Diversity of
   Quality of Information on Wikipedias
   <http://crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/cultures%20of%20wikipedias.pdf>
*Journal
   of the Association for Information Science and Technology* 68:  10.
    2460–2470.
   - Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Wikimedia Movement Governance: The Limits
   of A-Hierarchical Organization
   <http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/wikimedia_governance.pdf> *Journal
   of Organizational Change Management *29:  3.  361-378.
   - Dariusz Jemielniak, Eduard Aibar (2016)  Bridging the Gap Between
   Wikipedia and Academia
   <http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/bridging.pdf> *Journal of the
   Association for Information Science and Technology* 67:  7.  1773-1776.
   - Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Breaking the Glass Ceiling on Wikipedia
   <http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/glass-ceiling.pdf> *Feminist
   Review *113:  1.  103-108.
   - Tadeusz Chełkowski, Peter Gloor, Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Inequalities
   in Open Source Software Development: Analysis of Contributor’s Commits in
   Apache Software Foundation Projects

<http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/asset?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0152976.PDF>
   , *PLoS ONE* 11:  4.  e0152976.