Yes I totally agree with this. The problem is actually two-fold; we lack
the women contributors, and the current notability rules cause us to talk
in circles about how to protect new female contributors from being put off
by the systemic bias inherent in our internal processes. You don't have to
even in Western society. "Fauna" is a new one for me though! Writing as a
woman is of course different than writing about women. Everyone is welcome
to write about whatever they like. We miss the "female gaze" however - it
really doesn't matter what the women want to write about, as long as they
write. Massively as a large international group they choose to write
elsewhere and not on Wikipedia or any of the Wikimedia projects. The
question of why not may be simply technical or it could be the off-putting
challenge of learning to navigate our notability standards for things that
have historically only been academically documented by young white men.
Diving into things like the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica shows huge gaps in
knowledge as well as amazing detail for things that don't interest us so
much today, such as geological survey data. Back when people grew their own
vegetables or made their own asphalt that may have been very useful to
know, but increasingly the stuff we eat and build with comes from places
very far away from us. Sadly, the information we use to build articles
about local stuff also comes from farther and farther away.

I was originally coaxed into my first local WLM meetup by a direct
invitation on my user talk page. Whether this direct approach that has
proven so successful with WLM helps for the gendergap specifically is an
unknown, because our group of female contributors to invite is so
small.  The trick is to make the invitation as informal as possible and as
easy as possible to accept. I guess it is easier to think about the concept
of local heritage than it is to think about "female living", whatever that
may be. The point about diversity is you need to get people's attention so
they just add that extra little bit of focus when they are doing their
thing. In my case, I like to work on paintings and it takes me much more
time, sometimes years, to track down paintings by women, or portraits of
women, or paintings that have been in collections located in Africa and
other places not in the usual museum or art world circuit. I used to just
ignore the hard cases, but now I know I should pay extra attention and make
that extra bit of effort. In my small corner of the wikiverse I am slowly
tilting the scales from "paintings of women always show nudity" to
"paintings of women are mostly portraits". The point is to apply an extra
filter to the gaze we all have, to alert us to the female angle or the
non-Western angle.

The women who do contribute to our projects tend to have other interests
than just biographies or anything else gender-related. I think that's
normal.