Yes, +1 to "This move means we have more leverage to organize
thematic-based or
regional-based events, with open participation. We should make sure that
all those events involve "learning" elements. And we need more support
from WMF (other any affiliates) to organise the other events."

I did attend the Berlin conference in 2017 for the strategy sessions and
even there you tend to get overloaded with information while concentrating
on specific tasks. I think it's a good idea to split out gatherings into
specific elements and then spread them around the world, because it gets
exhausting to try to do everything everywhere and at the same time at these
multi-purpose events. Alternatively, perhaps some of the key players could
be asked to answer short interviews on specific topics, which would greatly
reduce the need to fly around all the time. I know from experience that the
quickest way to learn stuff is to sit at a computer next to someone in the
know. However you can only ask people to do that a limited number of times.
It gets to the point where one only wants to help the people who one is
100% certain are going to use what one teaches them...short videos on
Commons might help with that problem.