*Quality control*
There are a few mechanisms in place for quality control:

   - Standard academic processes of external peer reviews which for
   wikijournals are all public (journals such as PLOS are moving in the same
   direction)
   - Accountability to the academic community - indexing by cope
   <https://publicationethics.org/misconduct>, doaj <https://doaj.org>,
   pubmed <https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/>, scopus
   <https://www.scopus.com/search/form.uri?display=basic>, web of science
   <https://clarivate.com/products/web-of-science/>, free journal network
   <https://freejournals.org> etc all require *extensive *external auditing
   of processes. Each journal has to apply for these individually and they are
   challenging to gain and retain.
   - Accountability and transparency to the wider community - unlike other
   academic publishing houses, we try to get feedback on ideas, votes and
   governance (which could be much greater with more exposure to the academic
   community)

*Why would an academic choose a WikiJournal*

   1. Most OA journals charge $2000-3000 per publication.
   2. Idealistic academics may value it for its adherence to the ideals of
   the wikimedia movement (public focussed, more democratic than most journals)
   3. Cynical academics may be drawn by the likely high impact that the
   journal will likely get form publishing a lot of broad review articles and
   the exposure of those through wikipedia
   4. Multiple 'unique selling points' from being integrated with wikimedia
   to give further impact:
      - Obviously, broad review articles are also integrated into Wikipedia
      so vastly wider read than typical journal reviews
      - Image-based article can have their figures added to commons
(e.g.*10.15347/wjm/2017.008
      <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjm/2017.008>*)
      - It could be a way to peer review parts of wikidata (e.g. whether
      the Drug interactions (P769) property set is up to date, and what
      references should support any additions)
      - possible integration of some articles into wikiversity taught
      courses (e.g. this teaching case study *10.15347/wjm/2017.006
      <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjm/2017.006>*)
   5. Indirectly, I also hope it can act as a gateway drug to get more
   experts wanting to engage in the other projects. Because it accepts
   submissions straight out of wikipedia, it might also increase the incentive
   for an academic to contribute to wp if they can later submitting it to wj.

*Democracy*
So far the only inherently undemocratic part of the project has been the
strict requirements on the peer reviewers.
Conversely, authors have included professors, students, and people
completely unaffiliated with any university. Editorial board composition
ranges from the academics you'd expect to see, but also science
communicators, science librarians and experienced wikimedians which are
uncommon in other journals.
The indexed draft areas (currently called WikiJournal Preprints
<https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_Preprints>) will be a
free-for-all. Currently we have no exclusion criteria other than the
standard Wikimedia copyvio/slander/etc. If there become problems we might
need editors to keep an eye on them like ArXiv does, but I hope to keep it
light-touch.

*Plan S*
The journals definitely intend to be Plan_S compliant. I'll raise the idea
of putting out some statement of intention over at the project. Plan_S will
likely have a large direct impact in Europe and the US, and likely far
wider-reaching indirect ripple effects across all of academic publishing.

*Translation*
So far there has been little translation of articles. This is possibly
because the project started in English, which is especially dominant as a
lingua franca in scholarly publishing. However, there have been a few
proposals for translation that have been raised:

   - Translation of whole articles if they are thought by the community to
   be particularly useful (e.g. *Teladorsagia circumcincta *is one of the
   most important agricultural parasites*10.15347/wjs/2019.004
   <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjs/2019.004>* yet is almost completely absent
   from wikimedia <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q7695599>)
   - Translation of many/all abstracts into multiple languages

Thank you for the the really interesting discussions, ideas and feedback so
far!
Thomas