I've thought about institutional memory quite a lot since I stopped working
at WMF in 2011. A few points I think are worth considering:

   1. Often, institutional memory is measured in terms of
   staff/executive/board turnover; while there has indeed been a very high
   rate of turnover at times, I would argue that another factor (see #2) is
   actually more important.
   2. An organization can do a great deal, with a well-planned top-down
   approach, to ensure institutional memory is *generated* and *retained* even
   if there's a lot of turnover.
   3. The main thing that can be done is to ensure that significant events
   are *debriefed and summarized *("documented") in a way that is clearly
   and concisely articulated, supported by evidence and logic, and fair to
   various good faith perspectives.
   4. We might call that an "encyclopedic" approach. (The skills required
   are almost exactly the skills that tend to be cultivated in our Wikipedia
   volunteer community, as codified in its policies and norms, and learned
   through practice by its core volunteers.)
   5. The Wikimedia Foundation has not historically done very much in terms
   of thorough encyclopedic documentation of important events in its history.
   There have been exceptions, and I believe that where it has been done and
   done well, much good has come of it. The best example of this, in my
   opinion, is the Assessment of Belfer Center Wikipedian in Residence
   program

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Assessment_of_Belfer_Center_Wikipedian_in_Residence_program>.
   This was initiated by then-Executive Director Sue Gardner and her deputy
   Erik Möller, who participated actively in it. Specific programmatic
   improvements in the Grants department were a direct outcome.
   6. But many events have never been documented with
   guidance/resourcing/participation by the WMF. It's worthwhile to debrief
   and summarize both positive and negative experiences.
   7. If you don't document positive outcomes, WMF staff may have
   difficulty replicating that success, because the experience is not widely
   understood within the WMF (or in the community, etc.) The example foremost
   in my mind is the 2012 rewrite of the Terms of Use, overseen by
   then-General Counsel Geoff Brigham. He made changes to his process to
   leverage the knowledge and experience within the volunteer community, and
   ended up with a document substantially superior to his initial draft, and
   that also had the buy-in of many volunteers whose fingerprints were on the
   final document. (I hope to write this up myself some day; if I ever get
   around to it, it'll be linked here

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Peteforsyth/governance#Organizational_governance>
   .
   8. If you don't summarize/debrief negative outcomes, you don't learn in
   the moment what went wrong (so as to avoid repeating the mistakes), and you
   leave anybody impacted by the problems (e.g. volunteers) with the
   impression that you don't care. The example I think of is Superprotect
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Superprotect>. As the author of a
   diplomatic letter, signed by more than 1000 people, making straightforward
   requests of the WMF, I am not too bothered that they didn't do what we
   requested; but I am very bothered that they never acknowledged the
   existence of the letter, nor stated which parts of it they agreed/disagreed
   with, or what motivated the subsequent decisions they did make. (These are
   things they could still do, even several years later, that would still make
   a difference.)
   9. As any seasoned Wikipedia writer/editor knows, there is an important
   difference between writing that aims first and foremost to be useful and
   informative ("encyclopedic"), vs. writing that aims first and foremost to
   present an organization in a good light, or to advance an agenda ("public
   relations" or "communications" for an organization). People who excel at
   one of those types of writing are not always great at doing the other kind;
   the two types of writing require a different mindset.
   10. The kind of writing required to summarize and debrief
   important events, to create and preserve institutional memory, is (in terms
   of the ways I defined them above) *encyclopedic* writing.
   11. In closing, I'd like to make a point about the skillset the WMF
   board has hired. I want to be really explicit -- I like and admire the
   WMF's Executive Director/CEO; she is highly skilled, and a kind person. But
   I am continually surprised that there has been little acknowledgment of
   what the board did by hiring her, and the direction the WMF has
   (unsurprisingly) taken since her hire. She was previously the WMF's
   Communications Director, and her earlier career was largely in
   communications. I would urge others to consider that it is not surprising,
   if an organization is guided by an executive with a Communications
   background, that it would not embrace an encyclopedic approach to its own
   self-knowledge.

If the Board wants to build an organization that learns about its assets
(first among them, IMO, is its extensive and passionate volunteer
community) and its history, and retains what knowledge it gains, I believe
it is entirely within the power of the Board to make that happen. The Board
has several tools at its disposal to ensure that kind of outcome. It can
make its wishes known through directives and motions passed in its
meetings, and it can exert its influence on documents like Annual Plans and
budgets.

So, I would argue that if there are observable patterns that the WMF is not
doing a great job of retaining institutional memory, and if anybody has the
energy to try to change that (I don't), advocating to the Board is the most
worthwhile way to bring that about. Anything less, it seems to me, is
rather pointless.

-Pete
--
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

p.s. If interested, please review my own (work in progress) list of
significant events in Wikipedia's history, with links to more detailed
information. I'm interested in feedback, additions, or criticism of this
list. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Peteforsyth/governance