I just want to comment on one particular point made by Pete.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 8:27 PM Pete Forsyth <petefors...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Institutional memory is important BOTH to staff of WMF, AND to the
> volunteer community.
>
> I think both you and I, Michael, have blurred these two issues to some
> degree. It would be possible for (a) WMF to fully and privately document
> the relevant history (which could be a function of top-down leadership
> and/or staff culture), and for (b) volunteers to fully and publicly
> document relevant history (growing out of volunteer culture, presumably
> with some input from staff).
>
> Whereas this is correct as a general statement, in practice, volunteers
can not document the institutional history. This documentation can not be a
bottom-up process similar to writing a Wikipedia article. For a very simple
reason: There are many viewpoints at every particular event, and the
documentation of volunteers will inevitably reflect one of the points.
Sure, one person can write an analysis of a particular incident from their
point of view, or even a book on the history of Wikipedia. This person can
be a knowledgeable volunteer having general trust of the community or it
could be a user under a site ban. However, a collective product will
inevitably face the necessity of choice. In writing a Wikipedia article, we
use reliable sources to select material (and when reliable sources clash,
we usually face a disaster). Here, we are talking about the events which no
reliable sources describe in detail. An organization can document them on a
basis of performed investigation. A single person can document them on the
basis of their memory and experience. But I do not see how any grassroot
collaboration could be possible here. Any attempt to document these things
from the volunteer side would lead to projects similar to V-ocracy (which
already happened in some languages).

Best regards
Yaroslav