On 30/09/2020 13:55, Pascal Martin wrote:
Hi all,
Maybe one way in France :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renater
I could contact them if it s possible, and more particularly the criann
he would only charge for electricity.
At the same time this allows to be able to save energy for users who
consult wikipedia in Europe.

https://www.criann.fr/

Hello,

Wikimedia has caches servers located in Amsterdam in the same facility of AMSIX which is one of the largest internet exchange point in Europe. The caches thus have a very good connectivity with all the major internet service provider in Europe (and beyond).

France several exchange points (France-IX, PARIX, SFINX which is operated by renater) and possibly others. But to my knowledge none offer the same amount of connectivity as AMSIX.

Beside privacy, hosting would have to obey to french laws and the copyright laws are entirely different than the one in the USA. On top of my mind: there is no such thing as "fair use" and no "freedom of panorama".

Surely laws can be changed by intense lobbying and could I see the use case for France to relax some copyrights laws to better accommodate hosting. That could potentially attract a wide range of content that are seeking a safe copyright heaven. But I don't see it happening anytime soon and that would require a lot of lobbying by a wide range of organizations beside just Wikimedia.

<fiction>
Maybe WMF CEO can try giving a call to french president and see whether some arrangement can be made :-]
</fiction>

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso