Hi,

IMHO, for a person to be in a committee which will shape the movement
charter, he/she needs to be experienced enough to have a broad
understanding of the movement. Newcomers without any insight of the
historical context will not be able to draft a charter effectively. Also,
popular elections don't properly judge the weightage of different
candidates; it puts every candidate to the same level, which they are not.
It would be absolutely unfair to put a Wikimedian with 10-15 years of
experience and having a good standing with the larger community and a
complete newcomer who is almost unknown to the community on the same ballot
box. It was not at all necessary to bring all the 70 candidates to the same
table. A certain threshold could be determined first and then candidates
could be filtered out before election. Plus, drafting movement charter is
not a capacity building program for newcomers, it will shape the future of
the movement, so quality control was necessary. I am not sure if these
points will be taken into consideration while (s)electing the committee
members, but if not, I am sure, it will frustrate many Wikimedians who care
about the movement.

Regards,
Bodhisattwa