On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 12:42 AM Strainu <strain...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > So where is the best current place to discuss scaling Commons, and all
> that entails?
>
> My impression is that we don't have one. All we hear is "it needs to be
> planned", but there is no transparency on what that planning involves or
> when it actually happens.
>
> > I'd be surprised if the bottleneck were people or budget
>
> The main problem I see is that we end up in this kind of situation.
> Scaling and bug fixing critical features should be part of the annual
> budget. Each line of code deployed to production wikis should have an owner
> and associated maintenance budget each year. Without this, the team will
> not even commit reviews - see the thread on wikitech a few months back
> where a volunteer programmer willing to work on Upload Wizard was basically
> told "We will not review your code. Go fork."

There is "code stewardship program" and its goal is to find owners for
components that don't have an owner (or undeploy them). Sometimes it's
successful, sometimes it's not. I have been asking for a maintainer for
FlaggedRevs for four years now, beta cluster is suffering from a similar
situation, etc. etc. It takes time to find an owner for everything, to fill
the gaps in places we don't have a team to handle those (e.g. Multimedia,
you can't just hand over that to team responsible for security for
example). More info at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_stewardship_reviews

> > Some examples from recent discussions
>
> Also improvements to the Upload Wizard. There are quite a few open items
> in Phab on this.

+1

> I really hope you will have better luck than others with bringing this
> issue up in the priority list for next year - multimedia support is growing
> more outdated by the minute.

Honestly, the situation is more dire than you think. For example, until a
couple months ago, we didn't have backups for the media files. There was a
live copy in the secondary datacenter but for example if due to a software
issue, we lost some files, they were gone. I would like to thank Jaime
Crespo for pushing for it and implementing the backups.

But I beat my drum again, it's not something you can fix overnight. I'm
sure people are monitoring this mailing list and are aware of the problem.

Best

--
Amir (he/him)