Thank you for organizing the call, and creating a space for discussing
the Wikimedia Foundation Board liaisons reflections and the
perspectives on the movement charter draft.

We have heard different requests for changing the timeline of the
ratification vote - asking the board to vote earlier, or to vote later,
or to delay affiliates and community vote, or to have the affiliates
and community vote only if the vote of the board is in favour of
ratification. During yesterday's call, some of these options were
mentioned by the participants, and  we were asked to check on the
option to delay the vote. While there was no consensus on the call on
any specific option, I committed to check whether a change in the
timeline is feasible and discuss with MCDC whether it would be the
right choice. Clearly, such a decision must be made extremely quickly,
hence the narrow timeline.

As promised, I checked the feasibility of a delay with the Movement
Charter Drafting Committee. All the committee members that have spoken
so far, which are the majority, believe that the process should not be
changed, unless there is a very good reason. This process with the
current timeline has been advertised for several weeks, including posts
on various projects, and it would not be fair to other voters. Nataliia
and I support this position. We are also all in agreement in
encouraging participation in the vote, as we are all interested in
getting as much constructive input from the voters as possible.

>From an operational capacity perspective, any delay now would also
require postponing other planned movement-wide processes with an impact
that goes beyond the movement charter.

Another request that we heard clearly in the Strategic Wikimedia
Affiliates Network (SWAN) [4] call was to have a clear commitment from
the board on next steps. Having concrete next steps is part of our
recommendation to the board; and more specifically our recommendation
talks about moving forward this year by shifting some of the functions
that have been proposed for the Global Council to global, community-
representing bodies, and iterating over those models [5]. Just to
clarify, our letter contained our reflections and recommendations as
liaisons, with the overall goal to make progress more quickly, and
without undertaking more multi-year-long processes with uncertain
outcomes.

We are also in conversation with the MCDC about what would be the
future of the movement charter itself if the currently proposed charter
doesn't pass the ratification. Despite the concerns about the current
draft, we all support the goals intended by  a charter. It is not a new
topic for the MCDC, who has been considering scenarios for a long time,
but feels that at this moment MCDC's focus should be on the
ratification vote.

To use this opportunity, I just wanted to remind you that the next
[6]Conversation with the Wikimedia Foundation's Board of Trustees [6]
will be on 27 June at 18:00 UTC (check your local time [7]), and you
can use that opportunity to come, and ask questions. The 90-minute call
will take place on Zoom, with simultaneous [8]streaming to YouTube [8],
and the recording will be uploaded to Commons. Please email
ask...@wikimedia.org to get a link to join the call. You can also
request interpretation or ask any questions ahead of time using the
same address.

Lorenzo

Il giorno ven, 21/06/2024 alle 22.40 +0200, Wikipedysta Nadzik ha
scritto:
> Hello everyone,
> Given the current situation and discussions around the BoT-MCDC
> liaisons' statement [9] about their intention to recommend that the
> BoT not ratify the Movement Charter and still move forward with the
> community vote, I decided to organize the Strategic Wikimedia
> Affiliates Network (SWAN) meeting on 23 June (THIS SUNDAY) – meeting
> link on Meta [10].
>
> TL;DR – Quick catch-up
> Board of Trustees liaisons to MCDC (Natalia Tymkiv and Lorenzo Losa)
> announced they will not recommend the BoT to ratify the charter in
> its current form and will recommend the development of new concrete
> and time-bound next steps to "evaluate progress". The reason stated
> is that the "proposed Charter does not address the significant
> concerns" raised by the Board earlier this year (February [11] and
> May [12]).
> Each of the 3 voting blocks: community, affiliates, and the BoT needs
> to approve the Charter to ratify it, meaning that each of them has
> the power to veto the Charter if they vote against it.
>
> Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) meeting on 23 June
> There are two meeting times to cater to two major time zone blocks.
> The two times are:
> * 03:00 UTC, 2024-06-23 (Asia-Pacific friendly time) – Check your
> timezone [2]
> * 16:00 UTC, 2024-06-23 (Europe-Africa-Americas friendly time) –
> Check
> your timezone [3]
> The agenda is:
> * Update on the Movement Charter process
> * Discussion on the Wikimedia Foundation statement on the Movement
> CharterWikimedia Foundation Board noticeboard/Board liaisons
> reflections on final Movement charter draft [1]
>
> For the signup and meeting link, go to the SWAN page at Meta-wiki:
> *
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Wikimedia_Affiliates_Network/2024_06
>
> The Movement Charter vote is scheduled to start in just 76 hours!
> Join us at the discussion.
>
> Cheers,
> --
>
> Maciej Artur Nadzikiewicz (He/him)
> Wikimania 2024 Poland – Team Lead
> Wikimedia Europe Board Member
> Wikipedia Administrator
> User:Nadzik [13]

[1] Wikimedia Foundation Board noticeboard/Board liaisons reflections on final
Movement charter draft

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/Board_liaisons_reflections_on_final_Movement_charter_draft
[2] Check your timezone https://zonestamp.toolforge.org/1719111600
[3] Check your timezone https://zonestamp.toolforge.org/1719158400
[4] Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN)
    https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Wikimedia_Affiliates_Network
[5] iterating over those models

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/Board_liaisons_reflections_on_final_Movement_charter_draft#Wikimedia_Foundation%E2%80%99s_commitment:_what_to_do_irrespective_of_the_outcome_of_the_ratification_vote
[6]

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Community_Affairs_Committee/2024-06-27_Conversation_with_Trustees
[7] check your local time https://zonestamp.toolforge.org/1719511200
[8]   https://youtube.com/live/DBgOvuMs-UA?feature=share
[9] current situation and discussions around the BoT-MCDC liaisons' statement

https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org/thread/IH6CY4GSMZB2C3WTWQISUOYUQCKPQS4R/
[10] meeting link on Meta

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Wikimedia_Affiliates_Network/2024_06
[11] February