We had a similar discussion back in January:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Groups/San_Francisco#New.2C_related_group_starting_up_23290

I hope folks get together and edit lots of pages. For my part, I don't
want to be part of a group or chapter, I would rather just have an easy
way to follow get togethers, and pick which ones I show up at. This is
the only Wikipedia list I will subscribe to, so if folks do end up
making new groups, please include a page of events I can watch somewhere
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups?) or make a calendar available.

Part of accessibility is being flexible and considerate of folks who
work all kinds of hours and also have childcare needs, among others. The
very act of creating a group signals to some that they have to be more
involved than you would propose, so I advocate for an informal group
that uses the existing channels to broadcast their meetings, at least
until they've hit that critical mass that they need to create their own
bureaucracy. ^_^

More pointed, I would be interested in attending and acting as roving
support; I don't have a lot of knowledge about any local areas, but I
geek out on MediaWiki, and have experience as an editor in the sense of
checking others' work. I hope you folks success in getting a space
somewhere.

maiki