Probably what we need to do is designate one of our committee members to
take on a press contact role. It wouldn't be hard work - one every 2 or 3
weeks. I ran as an independent candidate for parliament once and just kept
faxing out press releases from a free internet fax box, and you would be
AMAZED who contacted me over them. I got radio interviews and even a half
page in a local paper out of them once. The key is to be well written and
sound and look professional, almost business-like. Unfortunately Peter
Andren died but his ICAN (Independent Candidates) Network had some great
tips on writing press releases which I followed closely.

cheers
Andrew