hi,

Srikanth is referring to the cessation of membership as a result of
non-payment of fees. It is placed as under, from Article V, 2:

"By failing to pay annual membership fees of the Society by the end of
the third month from the start of the Fiscal Year for which said fees
were due; in such cases membership may be reinstated upon payment of
fees, in case of all members."

Srikanth interprets this to mean that once you do not pay your
membership dues by June 30 (for which Sowmyan also sent several emails
to this list, alerting on the members list as well) you are no longer
a member of the Chapter.

This has happened to me as well. I have lost membership number 52 due
to non-renewal and when I re-applied, the membership number allotted
to me was in the 280s in 2012/3. The Chapter has hence had this
practice since 2013 at least, if not earlier. Hence, once the member
pays the fees, it is treated as a fresh membership application and not
as a renewal. Also, the fresh membership application has to be
approved by the Executive Committee, which also acts as something akin
to the Membership Committee in other non-profits.

From Viswam's emails to this list, I think he has interpreted this
rule to apply that once the person pays the membership fees,
membership is considered as renewed and not as a fresh application.

EC, I would suggest that you consult your legal aide and Sowmyan on
the interpretation of this clause and also it's interpretation in
practice thus far. I would think that it is in the best interests of
the Chapter to clear this at the earliest.

warm regards,
Pradeep Mohandas

How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9