Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2010/1/9 Chris McKenna <cmcke...@sucs.org>:
>
>> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Charles Matthews wrote:
>>
>>> The point (for the guide that Brian and I are apparently writing) is
>>> that "empowerment" is a good buzzword, but there is a small, treacherous
>>> area to explore from a teachers' point of view: accounts for minors
>>> should not give personal details, so a "role account" for say,
>>> Tynecastle High School, looks more appropriate. But there are
>>> administrative reefs also, namely the deprecation of role accounts and
>>> shared passwords in general. Something can be done in practical terms by
>>> stating that the project has a fixed term, will be retired, and will
>>> have its password changed by a school staff member.
>>>
>> Would not it be perhaps better for the individual students to have
>> accounts, but under teh control of the school. Perhaps based on their
>> school pupil number (e.g. Tynecastle-091 Tynecastle-122) which means that
>> attribution for good and bad edits could be given to the individual rather
>> than the school.
>>

> Yes, that's the usual recommendation. I'm not sure what you mean by
> the school having control of them, though.

In the scenario of the school in Edinburgh, a group is told to execute a
certain project on WP. The attraction of a single account is clear from
the point of view of monitoring: a single edit history tells you
everything. If you have a group editing one page - and I have met just
this on WP, American college students assigned a task of upgrading a
nominated page - a bunch of people all trying to edit from different
accounts can lead to edit conflicts, if no worse.

Any account where the email address supplied went to a computer in the
school's administration would be "controlled" by the school, from the
point of view of resetting the password.

This discussion seems like fine tuning to me, actually; but, yes, I can
see it might be worth going into the issues a little in a guide. (I do
want to be concise, though ... all experience suggests verbose is easier
to write and less likely to be read.)

Charles